Dustin Hoffman, working alongside a 26-year-old Tom Cruise, won an Oscar for his role as an autistic savant in “Rain Man,” from 1988. The personification of hip, gorgeous greed in the Golden Age of the Yuppie, Cruise, as Charlie, learns to love his long-lost brother during a quirky cross-country trip.
The movie also won Best Director, for Barry Levinson, and Best Picture, topping “Dangerous Liaisons,” “Mississippi Burning,” “Working Girl” and “The Accidental Tourist.” Shows Monday, March 10, 7 p.m. at the Sebastiani Theatre. $8. 996.9756. Sebastianitheatre.com.
‘Rain Man’ trivia
1. Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) is the poster boy for the late-80’s yuppie. What does he do for a living?
2. Where does the term “Rain Man” come from?
3. What’s Raymond’s favorite TV show?
4. Charlie exploits Raymond’s mathematical skills by having him do what?
5. Initially, Hoffman was seen in the Cruise part, with Raymond played by Bill Murray, Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks or Kevin Kline?
6. Dustin Hoffman won an Oscar for Best Actor. True or false: Cruise was also nominated in that category.
7. Barry Levinson won the Best Director Oscar. He was nominated in that category for a 1991 film starring Warren Beatty. Name it.
8. How old was Hoffman when the film was released, and which if these actors is that age now? Brad Pitt; John Stamos; Mike Meyers; Johnny Depp.
9. The film was the top moneymaker of 1988. Another Cruise film came in at number nine on that list. Name it.
10. Name the rest of the five highest-earning films of that year.
1. Sells Lamborghinis in L.A.
2. Charlie comes to remember Raymond from his childhood, when he could only pronounce his name as “Rain Man.”
3. “The People’s Court with Judge Wapner.”
4. Count cards to win big money in a Las Vegas blackjack game.
8. 51. All of them.
10. Who Framed Roger Rabbit; Coming to America; Big; Twins.