Will Power led the final 16 laps to win the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma by 1.19 seconds Sunday at Sonoma Raceway, his third win here in four years.
Power became the 10th different winner in 15 IZOD IndyCar Series races on the 2.385-mile, 12-turn Sonoma track.
A penalty on then-leader Scott Dixon gave Power the lead on Lap 70. During a pit stop, Dixon clipped a tire being carried by a crewmember, who then knocked over another crewman. Both men were uninjured in the mishap.
The penalty gave Power, who started third, which he maintained for the win. It was the first victory for Power, the series championship runner-up the past three years, since April, 2012, at Brazil.
There were seven penalties issued in the race, including another for a pit safety violation by E.J. Viso, in the hotly contested race. The race also featured a track-record seven cautions for a total of 21 laps.
In the final laps, Dixon charged from 20th to 15th. He picked up three bonus points – two for leading the most laps (27) and one for leading a lap – and trails Helio Castroneves, who finished seventh, by 39 points heading to the Sept. 1 Grand Prix of Baltimore.
IZOD IndyCar Series GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma
Results Sunday, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, and laps completed.
1. (3) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
2. (7) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
3. (1) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
4. (11) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
5. (10) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
6. (4) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
7. (5) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
8. (9) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
9. (22) Simona De Silvestro, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
10. (12) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 85, Running
PHOTOS BY SCOTT KNIGHT