- Sonoma Valley Sun - http://news.sonomaportal.com -
‘Notorious’ details, plus trivia quiz
Posted By Sun News On April 1, 2013 @ 8:45 am In Guide | Comments Disabled
Despite the production code’s ban on kisses longer than three seconds, it turns out that Ingrid Bergman, in Alfred Hitchcock’s “Notorious,” is a bit of a slut.
In the 1946 drama, set in Brazil, her character has compiled a “long list of playmates” by the time agent Cary Grant recruits her to be an American spy. The two have their own fling, naturally. Then, putting more under the covers into her undercover work, she seduces, then marries, Nazi sympathizer. Sexual tension, uranium smuggling and poisoned coffee ensue but, unlike “Casablanca” four years earlier, both Bergman and her true love leave Claude Rains and the Nazis behind at the end of the flick. The film plays the Sebastiani Theatre once only, on Monday, April 8 at 7 p.m. $8. 996.9756. Sebastianitheatre.com.
Take the ‘Notorious’ trivia quiz
1) Producers worried that the sub-plot about smuggling was too obscure until what real-life event occurred during pre-production?
2) An actor who earlier starred in a Hitchcock thriller (filmed in Santa Rosa) was up for the Grant part in this one. Name him.
3) How does Hitchcock pull off his obligatory cameo?
4) Only one acting role received an Oscar nomination. Who was it?
5) Grant made three other films with Hitchcock. Name them.
6) It only seems like Cary Grant acted with every beautiful Hollywood actress. Who on this list did he not make a movie with? Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe or Sophia Loren.
7) When “Notorious” was made, Grant was as old as which of these actors is now: George Clooney, Tom Cruise, Matthew McConaughey or Ben Affleck.
8) Bergman was 31. Which of these actresses was that age for her hit film? a) Susan Sarandon, “Bull Durham” b) Merle Streep “Sophie’s Choice” c) Faye Dunaway, “Network” d) Julie Andrews, “Mary Poppins” e) Kate Winslet, “The Reader.”
1) Atomic bombs dropped on Japan.
2) Joseph Cotton, who made “Shadow of a Doubt” in 1943.
3) At the big party, he downs a glass of champagne and departs the bar as Grant and Bergman enter the room.
4) Claude Rains for best supporting actor.
5) “Suspicion,” “To Catch a Thief,” and “North By Northwest.”
7) McConaughey, age 44.
8) Correct answer is E. For the other films: Sarandon, 42; Streep, 32; Dunaway, 36; Andrews, 29.
Article printed from Sonoma Valley Sun: http://news.sonomaportal.com
URL to article: http://news.sonomaportal.com/2013/04/01/notorious-details-plus-trivia-quiz/
URLs in this post:
 : http://news.sonomaportal.com/2013/04/01/notorious-details-plus-trivia-quiz/?share=facebook
 : http://news.sonomaportal.com/2013/04/01/notorious-details-plus-trivia-quiz/?share=twitter
Copyright © 2010 Sonoma Valley Sun. All rights reserved.